A lot will depend on how you are planning to use the door handles, questions you may want to consider;
1. How many doors are you planning to re-furbish - is this a statement piece for an entry door or are there several doors where you will be using the same style of design?
2. How eclectic are you? Do you like to continue a particular style through the entire home or do you like to mix and match styles?
3. Is the door exterior or interior - if an exterior door, is it protected from the elements or will it be exposed to rain, snow or sea spray as these will contribute to the corrosion and rust of the handle. While bronze does not rust, it will over time develop a patina and is often referred to as a “living finish”. Stainless steel is corrosion resistant and while not rust proof, 316 stainless steel is the preferred alloy for coastal properties exposed to sea water.
4. Does the door need to lock - and does the door handle manufacturer provide the handles you are considering for all types of function from locking front and privacy doors to non-operating "dummy" handles that are typically fixed and often used to complete the symmetry for example of double doors where one handle operates to open and close the door and the “dummy” handle is used more as a grip or pull.
5. Are there special needs - to consider making it important that the door handle be easy to grip and that levers not be too heavy to depress
6. Are your doors unusual - are they extremely deep or shallow, bare in mind that a typical door in the US is 1 3/4" to 2" thick and while many handles can accommodate other depths, the manufacturer may have an up charge to create shorter or longer spindles or through bolts.
7. Unforeseen charges to consider - the lock is often not included in the cost of the door set but this varies with manufacturer, for example we do include the costs for tubular latches but not the cost of the mortise lock made by Accurate. The installation of a door set, particularly one that locks, will need to installed either by a contractor or locksmith.